Sunday, November 14, 2010

LAURIE ZUCKERMAN FAVORITE ALTAR ACTIVITY


Laurie Zuckerman was up in Saratoga, Wyoming this summer and photographed this sign in the historic downtown. Unfortunately there were no antiques for sale inside this antique building. Just ice cream! These four letters sum up what I do best—shop. I think it is my greatest skill besides arranging all my treasures on my altars, memory jugs, and memory boxes. I design found-object assemblages while pacing up and down the aisles of my favorite flea markets, thrift stores, and antique malls. These stores are an extension of my studio. I debate each object for how it could be incorporated into my artwork, with most objects receiving a resounding NEVER! I am extremely picky, as I try to only buy what I intend to use now or the near future of my work. I shop alone, as few people have my stamina. And I shop frequently, something most people find a bore or a collosal waste of time and money. Not me, I do my most creative thinking on my feet.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hi, Dawn here from Suitcase Vignettes just checking in. I have created a studio space for myself to create and take photos for my blog. Visit me when you have time. Can't wait to have some of my girls over to make the memory jugs. I love your entry about shopping and collecting things that are worthy of your creations...take care and leave me a message if you want.