Saturday, December 10, 2011

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN'S PHOTO OF ROSARIO MADONNA IN ATOTONILCO CHURCH, MEXICO

Laurie Beth Zuckerman's photo of a blue-robed Madonna and Child
in the Atotonilco Church, outside of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Laurie Beth Zuckerman's photo of a blue-robed Madonna and Child
in the Atotonilco Church, outside of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Laurie Beth Zuckerman's photo of a blue-robed Madonna and Child
in the Atotonilco Church, outside of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Laurie Beth Zuckerman's photo of a blue-robed Madonna and Child
in the Atotonilco Church, outside of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

A few years ago, Laurie Beth Zuckerman visited San Miguel de Allende and photographed the El Santuario de Atotonilco church near the colonial city of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. At the time I was not entralled with this Madonna statue, but I thought I would share her this week, as her altar is simply glorious and this famous penitente church is so holy. It is known as the Sistine Chapel of the Americas, and was begun in 1740.

To read more about Atotonilco's church, log onto this website: http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com/atotonilco.html

This post is my Day 10 entry to "A Virgin a Day" hosted by Rebecca Brooks' at her blogsite. To witness all the other wonderful contributions by artists around the country, log onto Rebecca Brooks site: http://www.corazon.typepad.com/

13 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Just beautiful Larie. I would love to see that in person. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays.

Gayle said...

I think I understand what you are saying, it's almost like she seems a bit too modern for her setting. But what a glorious setting/church!!!
Thanks for showing it.

Lenora said...

I must go there!

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful photos ~ Love the surroundings ~~ thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor)

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

A stunning blue Queen of Heaven and you are right--the altar is nothing short of magnificent.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You never know when a photo of the Virgin might come in handy, do you! :)

Mary of the Streets

Priti Lisa said...

She seems to be depicted as a woman of the 40's here with her wasp waist.
I love seeing Mary adored through the ages and through every artist's eye and vision. This is glorious! Thank you for sharing♥♥♥

rebecca said...

oh but my dear friend...what many do not know is that through one of the arched doorways on either side of this altar and mary of the rosary..is a most sacred sanctuary. not many people have ever walked through either of those arches in all the hundreds of years this santuario has existed.
so many years taking my groups here to stand right there at the wooden railing and wonder as you may have about the small low arch doors and the flooding of light.

one day, yes one day we will never forget my small group and i were there as the nuns where emerging with flowers...and we were allowed to pass inside.

the rest i will have to offer you by voice...it is too holy for the written word.

xoxoxoxoxo

rebecca said...

if i could have any wish come true it is that a nun will pass into this chamber perhaps carrying fresh flowers to comfort and adorn mary, the mary that secretly resides behind this our lady of the rosary.
to go into this secret chamber was a transformative experience for me and i am sure would be that for you too. i take my tours here and only once in all these years of standing right there did it occur that we were all invited to follow a nun inside the secret chamber that exists as a place of pure love and comfort for mary. this is my birthday wish for you! xo

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I've seen this very Virgin with my own eyes, and she is splendid! Hope to see her again in February when I go to San Miguel and out to Atotonilco.

Tuesday’s Virgin

Priti Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing these photographs Laurie♥♥♥

Anonymous said...

I remember this post from 2011 and see that I left a comment then. You could repost this every day as far as I'm concerned and I would love it even more each time.

Lea said...

Dear Laurie Beth, these are such breath taking photos... you can feel the devotion and love and all the people who have come here, seeking solace... thank you so for sharing this with us.