Thursday, April 9, 2009

LAURIE ZUCKERMAN PHOTOGRAPHS SANCTUARIO DE CHIMAYO IN NEW MEXICO





Laurie Zuckerman visited the Sanctuario de Chimayo in Northern New Mexico, northeast of Santa Fe during Spring Break. They now have regulations against photographing inside the churches, but it is still okay to photography outside in the courtyard below the church. Here are two shots of the wooden crucifix that is so laden with rosaries, petitions, and christmas lights, it is almost unrecognizable as a Christ. The last shot is of one of the cyclone fences surrounding the courtyard. The entire fence is threaded with handmade wooden crosses. The Sanctuario is a world famous shrine. Not to be missed!! It is my personal favorite place in New Mexico.

7 comments:

Curious Curandera said...

Love your blog! Keep up the great work!

rebecca said...

you have a way of finding the sublime...even in the web of a chain link fence..
you convey the hopes of many.
pure
blind
devotion.
xoxoxo,
rebecca

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Laurie!
Love your Chimayo pix! well done!
caterina

Seth said...

I was there last year and your photos have brought me right back. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have spent so much time at Chimayo and the surrounding area over the years...so happy that Rebecca led me here.

Anonymous said...

my favorite place too. pics are terrific. biggest fan, kathy

Cory said...

Love the photos of the Santuario's
cross...all the "peticiones" and "milagros" take me back to my grandmothers alter.

Thanks so much,
Love your work,

Cory