Saturday, May 1, 2010

LAURIE ZUCKERMAN'S PHOTOGRAPHS OF HISPANIC GRAVES IN COLORADO & NEW MEXICO







Laurie Zuckerman has been finishing up her photo documentation of Hispanic cemeteries in the Southwest in preparation for a publication on folk art graves. I have been working diligently on this series for the past six years, and since I won't be teaching this summer, I am hoping to make some final selections in editing my hundreds of photos for the book. Here are a few of my favorites that I went back to re-photograph last September in Southern Colorado. The first two pictures above is of the most unusual crucifix in all of the Southwest. It is small and crude and definitely one of a kind. The third carved sandstone Christ is another headstone in the same private cemetery east of Trinidad that my husband found to show me. The cross decorated with colored marbles is a new discovery from Cimarron, New Mexico.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

stunning...such a heart sweeping find.
i love your generosity...
sharing so abundantly
as you do.

cconz said...

Your photos of grave markers are so cool, So folk art. Why did we get away from that. It's so much more personal. If grave stones were more like this now. There might be more visitors. People would just to view the markers. It gives me ideas on my own.