Wednesday, October 12, 2011

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN CREATES DAY OF THE DEAD ALTAR FOR LONGMONT MUSEUM'S 11TH ANNUAL DIA DE LOS MUERTOS EXHIBITION


Laurie Beth Zuckerman's  DOD altar at the Longmont Museum after Day 1 of installation

Laurie Beth Zuckerman's DOD altar at the Longmont Museum after Day 2 of installation

Laurie Beth Zuckerman's DOD altar at the Longmont Museum after Day 3 of installation

Laurie Beth Zuckerman's DOD altar at the Longmont Museum after Day 4 of finishing her "Homage to Old Mexico" Day of the Dead installation

Laurie Beth Zuckerman began her stint as Altarmaker-in-Residence at the Longmont Museum's Día de los Muertos Exhibition on October 1. This gorgeous show of Day of the Dead altars and folk art will continue from October 1- November 6. 

Monday, September 26, I trucked ALL the stuff to the museum and got the furniture arranged during the afternoon and took the DAY 1 shot shown above. There were still hundreds of items to go on this "Homage to Old Mexico" installation, honoring Mexico's vintage popular arts. The museum had its opening reception on September 30, so I wanted to have enough of the altar's structure to give a sense of what was to come. People actually thought the altar was finished, but you can see from my subsequent photos that I was far, far, far from being done.

Saturday, October 1, I posted my DAY 2 shot of what I accomplished on my first full day of altarmaking for the public. 

Sunday, October 2, I returned to the Longmont Museum and later posted my DAY 3 shot.

Finally on Friday, October 7, I returned yet again to complete this 14.5' x 10' x 8' installation and am posting my final DAY 4 photo. Hope you enjoyed following this transition of my newest Día de los Muertos altar.

Please join me on the evening of October 12 at the Longmont Museum for my public gallery talk at 7 pm. Admission is $5 for non-members of the museum.

6 comments:

GlorV1 said...

It's a beautiful shrine and sure wish I lived in your state because I definitely would be there to view your work of inspiration. Beautiful, just wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Dawn Elliott said...

I remember going to the Longmont Museum a few years ago and thnking that they had exceptional artwork...and now this! Your installation is beyond incredible, incorporating so many facets of Mexican culture and folk art...and yes, the color is awesome! I look forward to when I can finally view your work in person. Thanks for all you do to educate the public about Dia de los Muertos and all things sacred.

rebecca said...

oh laurie....always the altarista of my heart! the red is stunning and then each detail unfolds itself with equal passion. i love the photographs growing with intensity and how in the first the large baskets of flowers on the top outer ends look like giant hands reaching upward.
hands, folk art....passion red.
gorgeous!
thanks for allowing those of us at a distance to have a taste of such holy beauty!

Spadoman said...

I posted my Los Dias article from the road and didn't get much time for visiting others until this morning. I recognize the name Longmont, CO. Close to the Mango Studio I'd guess.
Your altar is the most beautiful I have ever seen! I'll be traveling through that varea early in November, (Immediately after Los Dias) and hope to swing by. I'd love to see this in person. Thanks fore sharing it with us. I am honored to know that you are the curator for htis particuular event.

Peace

Unknown said...

Laurie, the finished altar is so rich and layered...I know that everyone will enjoy it!!

Gayle said...

Beyond words,such a tribute.
Wish I could be there for your lecture.