Sunday, June 3, 2012

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN'S XERISCAPE GARDEN SHRINE WITH CAST IRON GERMAN CRUCIFIX

Laurie Zuckerman's shrine to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is a riot of color
in the springtime thanks to my husband's diligent xeriscaping.
The path to Laurie's garage studio winds past this antique German crucifix,
my most precious backyard possession and largest crucifix I have collected.
Exuberant Scarlet Gilia framing the view of my cross from my patio chair.
Rusted cast iron cross with crucifix
Cast iron cross with crucifix detail



The garage studio's side is lined with wooden crosses rescued from graveyard trash heaps.
Shadows are cast from the trellis made with wood rescued from an old dairy farm.


Laurie Beth Zuckerman's back garden is as much a sanctuary as her home full of altars. Over the past eleven years, my husband and I have collected a few simple pieces to grace our xeriscape garden. Prior to our efforts, the yard had been a lawn since the house was built in 1933. Tom has transformed the entire yard into a botanical desert wonderland. I spend a lot of time admiring and photographing the ebb and flow of our xeric plants. I hope you enjoy this peek into my private life and my reverence for Catholic statuary.

You may also enjoy my earlier blog post of Madonna Shrines in my backyard.

Please visit this post and many others at Postcards from Paradise with my dear friend, Rebecca Brooks' site: Recuerda Mi Corazon.

8 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

This does my heart good, Laurie - very good. It feels good to know there are such places created with such love. Thank you for saving these precious objects.

GlorV1 said...

Just beautiful Laurie. I love the crosses. thank you.

Gayle said...

Your cross and and it's garden home are beautiful.

Cheryl said...

I love the photos, but what is a xeriscape?

rebecca said...

truly sacred ground.
thank you laurie for this intimate glimpse into the beauty that looms strong in your hearts and home.
it's no wonder this cast iron cross is a precious cherished relic as are the austere wooden crosses...beautiful enough to take my breath away!
thank you for grace in the garden.

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN said...

Hi Gayle, a xeriscape is a "waterwise" garden. One can plant native shrubs and flowers, or other plants from climates that need very little water. We have no sprinklers or soaker hoses in the backyard. The plants that survive there do so without much or any watering, only an occasional rainstorm. As Colorado has had many drought years since we've been here, it was economical to take out the lawn and plant a garden that is "greener" in regards to not being a water hog.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous and sacred. You and your husband have created an incredible sanctuary.

Unknown said...

stunning in all aspects...the garden is so splendid, the objects...all so lovely and thoughtful. xokp