Monday, January 24, 2011

LAURIE ZUCKERMAN: THE 619 WESTERN STUDIO BUILDING IN SEATTLE WILL BE SAVED?


LATEST UPDATE Feb. 2, 2011: Seattle's 619 Western Building will be saved from the wrecking ball afterall. Read the article below.


Jan. 24, 2011 Laurie Zuckerman's former art studio in Seattle's historic 619 Western Building on the waterfront is in danger of being demolished, to make way for the removal of the Viaduct. Friends in Seattle sent me this news and I feel like I am about to lose an old friend. I painted in my fourth floor studio for nearly nine years. I held open studios and art parties with my studio partner, artist Jana Rekosh. Jana and I built the 840 square-foot-space back in 1993 with help from an architect. The best thing about 619 Western was the abundance of wonderful artists filling the six-floor building. In particular, I remember fondly the late Drake Deknatel, one of the best painters in the Northwest. Losing 619 Western will be a huge loss to the art community in Seattle. I hope this building can be saved. Read more about the controversy in this Crosscut article:

http://crosscut.com/2011/01/11/urban/20534/State-moves-toward-demolishing-historic-artists--building/

No comments: